Re: Difference between engines 1 & 4 of the boeing 707

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         17 Dec 95 02:11:50

"Marcelo F.Cosi" <mcosi@embratel.net.br> wrote:
>Does somebody know why the engines-arm were different in most of the
>707's?????

I don't know the answer, but I do have an observation to contribute...
Are you referring to the fact that (with JT-3D engines, anyway) many 707's had
a small oval or round air inlet on the leading edge of the pylon for 3 engines
but not on the fourth? I've also seen photos of 707's with the air inlet on all
four engines, and a few with inlets on only the inboard engine pylons and not
either outboard pylon. It seems that several combinations are available. I
assume that it is associated with some engine accessory that isn't mandatory on
all engines, but I don't know which accessory it might be.

Also- I did a lot of flying the past couple of weeks (unfortunately mostly on
MD-80s.. BLAHH!) but I did get my first close look at an A-340 passing through
DFW. That is one graceful ship!! Despite the wider body and larger overall
size, it reminds me very much of a 707 both on the ground and in the air. The
proportions work together in a very pleasing way.

--
Steve Lacker	/	Applied Research Laboratories, The University of Texas
512-835-3286	/	PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029