PW4098 launched

From:         chuanga@iia.org (Andrew Chuang)
Date:         20 Feb 95 12:05:25

According to Friday's (2/17) Hartford Courant, Pratt & Whitney became
the first engine manufacturer to have committed to build an engine for
the long-range version of the B777 (B-plus, I believe).  The engine, the
PW4098, is scheduled to be certified in September 1997.  In an earlier
Hartford Courant article, it was reported that P&W had been discussing
with an Asian carrier (my guess is Korean Air) and a South African
carrier (everyone can guess this one, right?) about the long-range B777
powerplant.  With the 98,000-lb-thrust PW4098, the B777 will have a
range of 8,000 miles.  By my simple estimation, the long-range B777 can
enter into service by late 1998.

         |  H Andrew Chuang    chuanga@iia.org  |