Re: The Regional Jet order update. OCT 1995.

From:         shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
Date:         04 Dec 95 01:15:00

On 29 Nov 95 01:36:18 , alfonso@melbpc.org.au (Vince Alfonso) said:

Vince> Jennings Heilig <jheilig@gate.net> wrote:

>While I've never flown on either a BAE 146 or now the Avro RJ (same
>same), I have talked with several cabin crew who absolutely hated
>them.  This has been some time ago (Air Cal flight attendants).  They
>stated that compared to Boeing or McDD aircraft, everything was
>poorly designed, worked backward, and was generally a pain.  Perhaps
>the captain sits on the right?

Vince> The Captain still sits on the left, but all the electrical
Vince> switches operate in reverse position to Boeing et al. (ie down
Vince> is off)

Oh, no.  Tell me this isn't so.  Hasn't anyone learned a damned thing
in the last fifty years?

They lost airplanes in World War II because of the reversed switch
conventions between the US and the UK.  This is one of the first bad
examples they drag out in every introductory human factors course in
the world.  It was my understanding that the JARs, FARs, et cetera of
every civilized country had settled on switches that go up or right
for on, knobs that turn clockwise for more or on, etc, no matter how
one wired one's house.

The paranthetical remark makes me wonder if the poster is
confused--does down being off refer to Boeing or BAE aircraft?
--
Mary Shafer               NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
SR-71 Flying Qualities Lead Engineer     Of course I don't speak for NASA