Re: The Regional Jet order update. OCT 1995.

From:         herrmann@ls4.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Peter Herrmann)
Date:         04 Dec 95 01:15:00

rvriet@rwm.nl (Ronald van Riet) writes:
|>why buy a four-engined plane which is more expensive to operate
|>instead of a two-engined, just as quiet and (from personal experience)
|>with a much higher passenger comfort.

One advantage of the Avro RJ is its excellent STOL performance. AFAIK, it is
the only jet aircraft which can land at many city-near airports like London City,
Berlin Tempelhof, Belfast City, and Stockholm Bromma or at touristic sites like
Florence or Lugano. This causes a flexibility which might be a reason for its
popularity among European regional airlines.

|>I do mean, of course, the Fokker Jetliner series....
|>
|>Especially in the case of Crossair: Swissair had the Fokker 100,
|>Crossair (its subsidiary) the 145; now who owns who???

Again, the short runways (ie. Lugano and Bern) might be the reason, too.

|>Many happy landings

And many happy take offs :-)

Peter

--
Peter Herrmann, Dipl.Inf. herrmann@ls4.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Dept.of.Comp.Science IV   Subj.: Distr. Systems / Comp. Networks