Re: What's in a model number? (MD-95 Structural Specs)

From:         Stefano Pagiola <spagiola@worldbank.org>
Date:         04 Dec 95 01:14:53

drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) wrote:

>>Technically speaking, the MD-95 could be called the DC-9-95.
>
>That is probably what will be written on the Type Certificate.
>The MD-80 is typed as a DC-9-80.  The MD-11 is, if memory serves, also
>typed as a DC-10.

The type certificates for the early MD-80s definitely say "DC-9-80".  I
expect the ones for the -97, -88, and -90 also do.  It is interesting to
note, however, that the manufacturers' production plate (in the front left
passenger doorway, facing front) identifies these latter aircraft as MD-87,
MD-88 and MD-90-30, respectively, while the early ones do say DC-9-81 etc.

I'm not sure that the MD-11 is certificated under the DC-10.  Can anyone
confirm this?

--
Stefano