Re: 777 folding wing (was: Delta dumps the L1011)

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         04 Dec 95 01:14:52

>No one who bought the 200 series has order the folding wing because
>of the weight of about 800 lbs. a wing. (1600 lbs.

The numbers I saw at the time of United's launch order were 3,900 lbs
per airframe for the folding wing, or 2,000 lbs with the hinges there
but fixed, with no activation mechanism.  (The latter option would
allow an airline to later upgrade to the folding wing by simply adding
some extra hardware.)

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com