Re: landing in fog

From:         Michael Tate <mtate@voyager2.demon.co.uk>
Date:         04 Dec 95 01:14:51

           susanle@ix.netcom.com "Susan Leibowitz " writes:

> I'm curious...a friend of mine was coming into LA on an L-1011..
>
> The rumor on the plane was that the pilot wasn't fog certified.  Does
> that make sense?
>
> And why wouldn't they've been able to use instruments to land?

Susan,

Without being on the flight deck during the approaches it is not possible
to give a definative answer but here are my thoughts...

Landing a L-1011 at an airport with Runway Visual Ranges of less than about
600 meters requires the use of the Autoland system. Assuming the crew to
be qualified, they would not be attempting this if not, then they would
use a combination of instruments and autopilot to conduct the approach.
Depending on the quality of the ILS and the servicability of the aircraft,
the Captain establishes the minimum RVR required for autoland.

The limiting factors now are: the reported RVR which must be at or above
minimums from commencement of the approach to the Outer Marker and the
requirement for the pilot to establish a visual reference at minimums.
This is usually a minimum number of runway lights or the runway surface.
Some aircraft can land without visual reference, I don't know if the
L-1011 is one of these.

The most likely reasons for the go-arounds and final diversion is being
unable to comply with these requirements.

Regards,
Capt. Mike Tate B757/767 LHR

--
Michael J Tate