Re: landing in fog

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         04 Dec 95 01:14:50

Susan Leibowitz  <susanle@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>I'm curious...a friend of mine was coming into LA on an L-1011.. It was
>on one of those very foggy days.  They tried to land three times and
>then gave up and landed in Las Vegas.
>
>The rumor on the plane was that the pilot wasn't fog certified.  Does
>that make sense?
>
>And why wouldn't they've been able to use instruments to land?

I'm not familiar with your exact situation, but there is no such thing
as a "fog" certification.  What may have happened is that you ran into
Category III weather with a Cat III airplane but a captain certified to
Cat II standards.  Perhaps we can get one of the professional pilots out
there to comment.

Terry

--
Terry