757 Autoland

From:         hyao@liberty.uc.wlu.edu (Hans Yao)
Date:         04 Dec 95 01:14:49
Followups:    1 2 3

I was recently aboard an USAir 757 tht executed an autoland at Charlotte,
nice smooth approach and touchdown was smooth, though solid.

I queried the flight crew after the flight (just wanted to see the flight
deck, didnt know Id stumble onto such an interesting topic.)  He said
that that landing was a routine test of the system, certified for
approaches to 600 feet visibility.  Is there anyone out there that would
care to post or mail me more information about the various autoland
systems, how they work, what the specifications are, if they are legal
for zero-zero?  I thought it was pretty interesting, the plane being able
to do that all on its own.

Anyone with any thoughts, remarks, or previously posted information on
the topic?

Hans