Re: AA BDL MD-80 Incident

From:         jdk@apk.net (John Knopp)
Date:         29 Nov 95 01:36:19

On Nov.21 erisajd@Neca.com (Joseph Farrell) wrote:

>My problem with this is that at that time winds were 120-160, 25kts gusting
>to 44 kts, and the ceiling was 740 feet.  What oin gods green earth were
>the pilots doing accepting a nonI-LS approach into these conditions with
>the obstacle less than 4 miles from their touchdown with only a working
>localizer.

Joe,

If memory serves, the only ILS that would have even been a *remote*
possibility that night was the ILS to 24 at BDL.

Now I don't know about you, but I would *much* rather shoot a VOR to a
favorable runway (wind) than an ILS with a 60 deg. crosswind gusting to
44 kts.  In fact, they may have been illegal to shoot the ILS under those
conditions as most airlines are limited to a 25 kt. crosswind component
on approach.

As to your claim about the WX v. minimums on the VOR approach, I don't
have my Jepps handy and I don't know what the actual SA showed at the time
of the incident so we'll all have to wait and see.

Maybe you and I should forego the "armchair-aviator" judgements until we
have more info, eh?

-JK

--

John Knopp