Design continuity in sucessive generations large jets?

From:         Jim Watson <jim.watson@bris.ac.uk>
Date:         21 Nov 95 01:19:27

I'm working on an economics project to asess the degree of design
continuity in sucessive generations of large commercial jet aircraft
looking specifically at wing design.

I need to find out the relative difference in cost of say manufacturing a
747 wing, without using any of the previous design and test data
available from the earler generations of Boeing aircraft.  Also I need
to find areas of design continuity, areas of partial redesign and areas
of full redesign.

This is a purely academic project contributing to four years of research
into the economics of large manufacturing industries.

I would be grateful for any help you can provide about this topic,

Thanks,

Jim.