Re: What's in a model number? (MD-95 Structural Specs)

From:         bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         21 Nov 95 01:19:26

>    Despite different designations, a 757-222 and 757-232 are quite
>    similar, just built for different airlines (United and Delta,
>    respectively).  Same general config, same PW2037 engines, etc.
>
>    The more similarly numbered 757-222 and 757-223 are considerably
>    more divergent, since the latter (built for American) has Rolls-
>    Royce RB.211-535 engines.
>
>    You can't tell which engine a 757-24A(PF) has, since UPS switched
>    from the PW2040 on the earlier ones to the RB.211-535 on the later
>    ones, but they're all the same model.
>
>I don't really mean to pick on the 757 here -- there are lots of
>examples of Boeing designations that don't uniquely identify the
>engine (a 747-238B could be either JT9D or RB.211, a 767-332 could
>be either CF6-80A2 or PW4060, ad nauseum).

These MODEL numbers you are quoting are in fact airline designators. Boeing
designates the 2 digit number following the model to individual airlines.
example: 767-233 would belong to Air CAnada and a 767-209 would belong to
Canadian Airlines.
The differences are not only in the engines (which are the same in the above
examples) but in the general options selected and layouts in the aircraft.
No two airlines select exactly the same equipment and cabin layouts for their
aircraft so the differences are noted in the "customer" number
767-type
2-series
??-customer

hope that straightenes that out