Re: What's in a model number? (MD-95 Structural Specs)

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         21 Nov 95 01:19:26
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

Felix R. Villatuya <felix@lightning.seas.ucla.edu> wrote:

>	I guess McDonnell Douglas didn't follow Boeing's definition.  The MD-80
>	didn't have a different engine configuration from the DC-9 either.
>	I believe the MD-80 was in fact a DC-9-80 (or Super 80).  Technically
>	speaking, the MD-95 could be called the DC-9-95.

That is probably what will be written on the Type Certificate.
The MD-80 is typed as a DC-9-80.  The MD-11 is, if memory serves, also
typed as a DC-10.  Douglas saves big bucks on using the derivative
certification process, just as Boeing does, and as Airbus wishes we all
couldn't.  Until they do *their* stretches, that is.  :-)

Terry

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com