Re: What's in a model number? (MD-95 Structural Specs)

From:         Don Stokes <Don.Stokes@vuw.ac.nz>
Date:         21 Nov 95 01:19:26

In article <airliners.1995.1820@ohare.chicago.com> you write:
>	I guess McDonnell Douglas didn't follow Boeing's definition.  The MD-80
>	didn't have a different engine configuration from the DC-9 either.

Thinking about MDD's rather limited product range, vs Boeing's pretty much
complete range of >100pax aircraft (and Airbus's not-quite-as-complete but
still better than MDD's)...

How much commonality is there between Boeing models that wouldn't be there if
you ran a mixed fleet -- eg is there a significant advantage to flying an
all-Boeing fleet, say 737s & 757s vs flying a mixed fleet (eg A319s instead of
737s)?  Boeing makes quite a song & dance about being the only manufacturer
to offer the "complete" range (although that really does rely on the 737-800
filling the A320's slot, which isn't in service yet).  But there's no engine
commonality (except between the 767 & 747), and the airframes are quite
different.  Is there enough in common (avionics etc) to swing a decision
from running a mixed fleet?

--
Don Stokes, Network Manager, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
don@vuw.ac.nz(work) don@zl2tnm.gen.nz(home) +64 4 495-5052 Fax+64 4 471-5386