Re: hydrogen powered planes

From:         c-goetze@u-aizu.ac.jp (Christian F. Goetze)
Date:         21 Nov 95 01:19:24

In article <airliners.1995.1818@ohare.Chicago.COM> shevell@leland.stanford.edu (Richard Shevell) writes:

> Hydrogen is a non-starter for aircraft.

> It takes more fossil energy to produce the liquid hydrogen required for
> aircraft than  it does to just burn the fossil fuel in the aircraft
> turbines. So it does not save fossil fuel.

Who was talking about using fossil fuel to generate hydrogen? How
about solar energy?

> [argument relying on the use of fossil fuel and nuclear energy deleted]

> If you want to use the hydrogen floating in the oceans, one can grasp the
> difficulty of extracting it by thinking of water as rusted hydrogen. ( a
> thought I learned from an unknown Princeton physics professor about 20
> years ago)

Nice analogy, but irrelevant. The point is that you produce the
hydrogen where solar energy is abundant (e.g. north africa) and then
transport it to wherever you need it - just the same way as oil is
being shipped around the world.

I don't deny that there are technical difficulties involved, but
simply dismissing hydrogen in a knee-jerk response is definitly not
going to solve the very real problem of global warming and fossil fuel
depletion.

I maintain that the reasons why this isn't happening yet are mostly
political.
--

<A HREF="http://www.u-aizu.ac.jp/brochure/SW/c-goetze.html">cg</A>
<A HREF="ftp:://ftp.u-aizu.ac.jp/u-aizu/ease/">ftp archive</A>