Re: Singapore ordered 34+43 B777s with Trent engines

From:         herrmann@ls4.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Peter Herrmann)
Date:         16 Nov 95 03:48:42

Andrew Chuang <chuanga@iia2.org> writes:
|>Singapore Airlines (SIA) announced today (Nov 14th) its order of 77
|>B777-200Bs (way to many sevens, :-), of which 34 are firm orders and
|>43 are options.  If all the options are converted, the order will
|>worth up to US $12.7 billion.

..

|>For years, SIA has used big aircraft orders for publicity.  I wonder why
|>SIA did not order 35, one more than the United order, so that it could have
|>claimed to be the largest B777 order.  Boeing must have made a very sweet

Hereabout are rumors that UA will pass some of their B777s to LH which will
replace their B747-200s. In that case SIA would indeed have the largest
B777 fleet.

|>deal to convince SIA to increase its original intent of ordering only 17
|>aircraft plus 16 options.  I believe many of the order will later be
|>converted to the -300 and -100X.  I'll not be surprised that SIA may
|>eventually reduce its A340 orders and use the -100X instead.

Aren't they conservative about long-range ETOPS operations? Therefore I think
that they rather replace some A340-300s by A340-8000s.

..
|>Personally, I really think Airbus mis-sized the A330 that's why it's not
|>selling well.

Agreed! And they failed to offer a stretched A330 which can compete against the
B777-300 which BTW was demanded by Cathay (and others) several years ago.
Currently, SIA uses B747-300s and B747-400s on relative short routes to
Asian and Australian destinations to which the B777-300 fits better than
anything offered by Airbus (or MDD). Therefore their choice seems
straight-forward.

..
|>Airbus did make a small coup.  Gulf Air, which
|>has cancelled its B777 order earlier this year, ordered the A330
|>yesterday.

Is the number of six orders correct ?

..
|>One last note: I'm glad the order came thru, because I've predicted SIA's
|>B777 order in e-mail to several people.  When Airbus announced its
|>intention to launch the A330M10 last week, I thought my prediction was in
|>jeopardy.  My next prediction: Malaysia is going to order the B777, too.
|>No doubt the B777 is going to rule in Asia.  Boeing would love too see the
|>B777 to do well in the U.S. as it does in Asia.  Boeing and Airbus will
|>fiercely compete for the American and Delta orders.
|>
|>--
|>  H Andrew Chuang   chuanga@iia2.org

I am astonished about the moment of the SIA order. Currently, a German mixed
political and economical delegation of high rank headed by Federal Chancellor
Kohl is in Asia and will visit Singapore within the next days. Due to the human
rights situation in China the journey is heavily criticized in Germany. In order
to make it at least an economical success, the politicians might push the
representatives of Daimler-Benz Aerospace and Airbus to make SIA a better offer.
Might it be that SIA tries to strengthen the pressure on Airbus and therefore
makes the announcement now and not after the visit?

					Regards
						Peter
--
Peter Herrmann, Dipl.Inf. herrmann@ls4.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Dept.of.Comp.Science IV   Subj.: Distr. Systems / Comp. Networks