Re: What's in a model number? (MD-95 Structural Specs)

From:         felix@lightning.seas.ucla.edu (Felix R. Villatuya)
Date:         16 Nov 95 03:48:40
Followups:    1 2 3

Don Stokes (Don.Stokes@vuw.ac.nz) wrote:
: jheilig@gate.net writes:
: >According to my source at McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach, the MD-95 is:

: OK, so where's the new model?  Airbus & Boeing would consider this kind of
: change at best a new series number.  For these manufacturers a change in
: model number indicates pretty major differences in configuration,
: particularly Boeing where there isn't any comonality in engine configuration
: between models.

: I'd have thought changes like the removing the ventral airstair and improving
: the avionics didn't even justify a change in series number.  Is there any
: particular reason why MDD didn't take the DC-9-30 series or one of the MD-80s
: and re-engine it?

	I guess McDonnell Douglas didn't follow Boeing's definition.  The MD-80
	didn't have a different engine configuration from the DC-9 either.
	I believe the MD-80 was in fact a DC-9-80 (or Super 80).  Technically
	speaking, the MD-95 could be called the DC-9-95.

	Rainier

--
Felix Rainier Villatuya

felix@seas.ucla.edu