Re: The Regional Jet order update. OCT 1995.

From:         bernies@ice.net.au (Bernie Samms)
Date:         14 Nov 95 14:46:22

In article <airliners.1995.1791@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Manuel.DeKlerck@ping.be says...
>Michael Carley <mjcarley@maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
>>Colin Povey <cpovey@pdnis.paradyne.com> writes:
>
>>>I was wondering if you know why the Avro RJ rejional jets are
>>>so popular.  I like the planes myself, but I thought that the
>>>four engines would dramaticially increase the cost of the planes.

>>Probably because the four engines make passengers feel more secure.

>Four (lighter) engines allow a lighter construction of the wings, so
>although the engines may cost more, overall cost is not increased.

The secret is quiet (cheap?) operation from low power engines. Personally,
I hate the things. They are slower (in BAE146 format) in my Aussie travels
and despatch rate with Ansett Australia, as far as my experience goes, is
very poor. I feel more secure in a good old Boeing 737, 727 or even a DC9.
Maybe the newer Avro RJ is improved?