Re: New A330/340 models

From:         dms1002@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.M. Shurz)
Date:         14 Nov 95 14:46:21

In article <480il4$j9t@sphinx.Stanford.EDU> rna@sphinx.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft) writes:
>Yesterday's (Nov 9) Financial Times mentioned Airbus was trying to go ahead
>with two new versions of the A330/A340.  One would be a shrink of the A330,
>something called the A330M10, designed to fly 6000 miles (presumably 10
>stands for 10,000km?).  The other would be a stretch of the A340 to carry
>370 passengers in typical configuration (sounds like a competitor for the
>777-200/300).

>The A330M10 may be the long mooted A300 replacement, depending on how
>short the shrink is.  Anyone know anymore?

As far as I can understand the rationale is that in the short term the
A330M10 is a 767-300ER competitor, as Airbus feel that this is a market
segment they should be in, and the range of the A310-300 cannot compete, but
I would imagine that the next intention would be that the plane could be
further adapted with phaseout of both the A300 and A310.

Daniel