Re: A310, low visibility landing in Zurich, Switzerland

From:         l.a.ram@ix.netcom.com (Louis A. Ramsay )
Date:         14 Nov 95 14:46:20

In <airliners.1995.1774@ohare.Chicago.COM> Jim Ballentine
<jballent@cl.oracle.com> writes:

>ajvdplas@pi.net wrote:
>> With a CAT III-appraoch the auto-pilot land the plane. Also if the
>>aircraft and aerodrome is equped with the right tools the aircraft
>>taxies itself of the runway. You don't them need any visibility.

>This is the first time I've heard of an "auto-taxi" capability. I
>thought this was the real limiting factor in 0/0 landings. Can anybody
elucidate?

     It is the first I have heard also.  When one of the airlines was
testing the CAT III system.  They would land at Sea-Tac and come to a
full stop automatically with the nosewheel on the runway centerline.  I
think the Port Police had to go out and either take pictures or observe
it for verification, but the plane never turned off that centerline.

     Regards,

    Lou.