Re: Cockpit noise

From:         gallope@admin.curtin.edu.au
Date:         09 Nov 95 02:19:10

>-> Does anyone out there have any information regarding the amount of
>-> cockpit noise there is in present day airliners such as
>-> B747-100/200/300s, 747-400s and any other Boeing airliner information
>-> you might have.
>-> I'm looking for information that a layman can understand. Any help or
>-> information you might have is most appreciated!

The main noise is from airflow (ias). Could it be described as a
continual SSSHHHHHHH or SSSSSSSHH ?
Things get quieter as you go higher. When we had the 747-SP above
40,000 it was eerily quiet.
Of course engine placement is an important factor. The 727 was quiet
in the cockpit compared to the 747 which vibrates a lot at high power.

TG