Re: A310, low visibility landing in Zurich, Switzerland

From:         bareynol@cca.rockwell.com (Brian A. Reynolds)
Date:         09 Nov 95 02:19:10

>that. With a CAT III-appraoch the auto-pilot land the plane. Also if the
>aircraft and aerodrome is equped with the right tools the aircraft taxies
>itself of the runway. You don't them need any visibility.

This is the first time I've heard of an "auto-taxi" capability. I thought
this was the real limiting factor in 0/0 landings. Can anybody elucidate?

Jim B.
No auto-taxi.  You CAN have 'roll-out-guidance' where the localizer is used
to steer the aircraft along the center line of the runway while the auto-brake
system brings the A/C to a stop.

Systems in the works will provide the capability to taxi in limited visibility
using GPS linked with on-board display of taxiways.  This has been demonstrated
with success.  HOWEVER it is intended to provide LIMITED capability not zero.
It intention is to prevent taxiway 'excursions' where the flight-crew member
doing the driving gets lost among all the blue lights, so the emphasis is on
increasing the safety of ground movements.

Brian