Re: Flying Pencils (was:What's wrong with MD-11?)

From:         gt1208a@prism.gatech.edu (Peter Hollingsworth)
Date:         09 Nov 95 02:19:09

> I believe one of the significant benifits to Douglas on the MD-95 is that
> it IS a circular cross section, allowing automated manufacturing processes.
> (The DC-9/MD-8x family were all assembled by hand.  Manufacturing labor
> was, in general, in excess of 60,000 hours per aircraft - but I don't know
> how much of that was directly attributable to the fuselage assembly process
> itself.)

I don't know abpuit the MD-95, but the MD-90, which the MD-95 qualifies as
a shortened version of has the same double bubble fuselage. My guess is
the given the derivitive nature of the MD-95 is that it retains the same
crossection as the erlier a/c.

--
I am The Grand Scale Earthly Destructor.
Destroyer of Worlds, Eliminator of populations, And the bane of Humanity.