Re: 747-100 SUD

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         07 Nov 95 12:21:54

>The article said that the aircraft was one of two 747-100 that JAL
>had had retrofitted with a stretched upper deck.

The latest JP shows the following 747-100 variants in JAL's fleet:

    2 747-146		both Super Resort Express colors, whatever that is
    3 747-146B(SR)	one in Dream Express (Disney) colors
    2 747-146B(SR/SUD)	one in Dream Express (Disney) colors

Looks like those last two are the ones you're talking about.

>This is the first I have heard of -100 being fitted with the
>stretched upper deck.

I thought this was the first I'd heard about them as well, though I
just looked at some old notes on the -300 and I had them listed then
so I guess I forgot.  Structurally, I think a late design 747-100
(i.e., not a three-holer) and an early -200B (i.e., before they
dropped the spiral stairs) are the same so the only limit would be
weight.  Weight's not an issue for the Japanese domestic 747s (and
DC-10s) and they need every bit of capacity, so why not?

>I know that a number of -200 were remanufactured to -300 status by
>Boeing (KLM has a few, I think).

They're still -200Bs (albeit modified) and not -300s, though, at least
according to what I've seen.  A retrofitted -200B is a 747-200B(SUD),
for Stretched Upper Deck.  Originally, aircraft built with longer
upper deck were called a 747-200B(EUD), for Extended Upper Deck, but
the designation was changed to 747-300 and applied retroactively to
the -200B(EUD) models.

KLM modified ten aircraft, whereas they only bought three -300s new.
UTA also had a pair of them, plus a single -300.  The two JAL aircraft
are the only other SUDs I'm aware of.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com