Re: 727 with larger tail-top engine?

From:         bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         06 Nov 95 14:28:57

   kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:
>>I flew in to Jackson, Mississippi several times recently, and
>>each time I saw a Federal Express or UPS (I don't recall which)
>>727 which appeared to have a slightly larger tail-top engine.
>
>Sounds like one of the UPS 727-100s re-engined by Dee Howard with
>Rolls-Royce Tay 651 engines.  About half of their -100s have been
>done, with the remainder being done in fairly short order.  (All
>of their -200s still have the original JT8Ds.  FedEx still has
>JT8Ds on all their 727s.)

actually the inlet for the #2 engine on the 727-100 is a little larger than
the Pod engines to allow for the airflow restrictions in the S-Duct.  The
Airplanes which were re-engined only had the # 1 and 3 engines replaced due to
the engineering involved in reworking the S-duct in the #2 position.  On these
aircraft the inlet looks smaller in the #2 position.
I have not however seen a re-engined -100 the Tay  engines are far more common
on the -200 aircraft.

Interesting note: The #2 engine thrust reverser is deactivated and the engine
is locked into Idle position (flight idle?) It's only real purpose is to drive
a generator and hydraulic pump for the aircraft. And for cabin pressurization
air to the packs.

Brad Gillies     Bradg@io.org
WWW: http://www.io.org/~bradg/
A&P, AME (Canada), PPASEL (Canada)