Re: Flying Pencils (was:What's wrong with MD-11?)

From:         gt1208a@prism.gatech.edu (Peter Hollingsworth)
Date:         06 Nov 95 14:28:56

In article <airliners.1995.1741@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) wrote:

> So I thought, but taking a look at both 737 and 757 fuselage sections
> before they were joined together convinced me that they are decidedly
> *NOT* circular, though they may be closer to circular than the 707.
> As I recall, Airbus does use a circular cross-section or something
> very close to it.  The MD-80 has a very distinct crease where its two
> lobes join.

All Boeing a/c up until the 777 were built with the "double bubble"
fuselage. airbus has always used circular crossections, that is one of the
reasons for the added width on the A319/320/321 series over the Boeing
narrowbodies. Also all Boeing comercial narrowbodies have identical
fuselage cross sections in the constant, none wing body sections (the
717/C135 series, was a solely military a/c).

--
I am The Grand Scale Earthly Destructor.
Destroyer of Worlds, Eliminator of populations, And the bane of Humanity.