Re: The Regional Jet order update. OCT 1995.

From:         damiross@ix.netcom.com (David M. Ross)
Date:         06 Nov 95 14:28:56

Michael Carley <mjcarley@maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

>Colin Povey <cpovey@pdnis.paradyne.com> writes:

>>I was wondering if you know why the Avro RJ rejional jets are
>>so popular.  I like the planes myself, but I thought that the
>>four engines would dramaticially increase the cost of the planes.

>Probably because the four engines make passengers feel more secure

The main reason is due to the low thrust rating (about 7,000
lbs) of the engines.  Two engines wouldn't allow for flight
as well as four engines.  However, even with four engines,
the fuel used is still less than that of a comparable two
engine aircraft (at least at the time the RJ (nee 146) was
launched - don' t know if this is still true.)
david