Re: Are commuter aircrafts really that disliked ?

From:         skyesis@portal.com
Date:         03 Nov 95 02:51:37

In article <45p2e5$l1c@gsb-crown.Stanford.EDU>, <rna@gsb-pound.stanford.edu>
writes:

> In article <45n0oe$d9n@pipe6.nyc.pipeline.com>,
> Michael Coch <beekman@pipeline.com> wrote:
> >On Oct 13, 1995 14:06:25 in article <Re: Are commuter aircrafts really that
> >disliked ?>, 'lous@sr.hp.com (Lou Salz)' wrote:
> >>The CRJ can climb out over bad weather very quickly compared to
> >>the prop.  In many weather conditions, the prop never will climb high
> >>enough to get above the rough conditions.
> >
> >There are pros and cons to everything.  According to my pilot friends, you
> >don't want to be in a light jet during landing if there's wind shear --
> >takes a little too long for the engines to spool up to counter the shear.
>
> Is this true?
>
> RNA

The CJ610 of the Lear 25 can go from idle to takeoff thrust inabout 1.5 to 2
seconds.  Normal procedure is to go to the wall and come back an inch.  It is
however a single spool turbojet with much less rotating mass than say a more
modern TFE731 or JT15D.  With these engine if you get them back to idle RPM it
can take seconds (up to I think 8 on the JT15D) before it is making takeoff
power. The trick then is not to pull them back to idle (de-spool).  Therfore it
is not light jets that are the problem but Poor Pilot Technique.  Putting the
aircraft in the landing configuration as soon as possible and adding the proper
gust factor will insure that you have a high enough power setting so that if
you need takeoff or To-The-Wall power the engine is spooled up enough so that
it takes only a second or two to get there.

- Bill (ATP,LR-JET)