Re: Climb rates for airliners

From:         acampane@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (Angelo Campanella)
Date:         03 Nov 95 02:51:35

In article <45tmsk$a44@maple.enet.net> mkrotz@qrz.com (Mark Krotz) writes:

>>>As i learned in class the other day,
>>>airliner climb rates are heavily dictated
>>>by local noise regulations....you may want to

>Well, its true.  I don't understand these idiots who build a
>house under the approach/arrival path to airports, and then
>bitch about airplane noise!  What the hell do they expect.  A

The problem is that the house is not properly insulated against overflight
noise.  I am an acoustical consultant, and I routinely advise architects and
owners on the proper method of doing so.  When done properly, overflight
noise (interior to the house) is not a problem.  With sensible features
(masonry walls and/or dual walls/windows/roof, all-season air-conditioning),
the house is quite habitable.  I designed the isolation package for the
Radisson Hotel at Port Columbus (CMH), 6,000 feet west of RY 10L/27R on the
extended centerline.  That Radisson has the highest % occupancy rate for the
Radisson chain in Ohio.  That % is high because of location (handy to
airport).  So it can be done if one puts their mind to it.  What is missing
for ALL cities is a Municipal building permit ordinance MO which demands
force all new-builds to "do it right" for noise isolation from the get-go.

>good example is Phoenix Sky Harbor.  Its been there since the
>late '10s or early '20s, much longer than almost any housing in
>the area.  Same deal with Mesa, AZ Falcon Field.  It's been
>there since the Big One, it was an RAF aux training base.  Then
>some morons build houses around it in the orange groves and put
>a trailer park across the road, and now they bitch about the

Trailer parks near airports are a no-no since these structures are very
thin and the odds are overwhelming that they will have *no* significant
insulation against external noise.

>airplane noise!  Another interesting case is Denver.  Everyone
>whined about noise around Stapelton, so the city/county spent
>millions of dollars sound proofing peoples homes.  Now they
>move the airport out of town, and everyone bitches cause they
>have to drive too far to get to the airport.  Bottom line:
>If you don't want to hear airplane noise, don't live by the
>airport!  And oh yes, noise abatement procedures do affect
>things like stated above (climb/departure procedures).

Or hire an acoustical consultant to be at the side of your architect when he
designs the exterior shell of your house.  The address of the National
Council of Acoustical Consultants (NCAC) is:
NCAC /  66 Morris Ave, PO Box 359 / Springfield, NJ.
201-379-1100 / FAX=201-564-7480.

They can tell you who is the consultant closest to you.

You can also ask me for guidance any time:

Ang. Campanella, 614-876-5108 FAX=614-771-8740.

Cheers and Happy Landings!

Ang.  (I own a Mooney 201, a quiet (overflight noise) airplane).