Airbus/Boeing pilot-aircraft interface paradigms.

From:         Alain.Deckers@man.ac.uk (Alain Deckers)
Date:         03 Nov 95 02:51:33

Hi,

I know that this subject has been coveredbefore in this group, but I'd
be interested in gathering the opinions of pilots and design engineers
about the different strategies adopted by Airbus and Boeing concerning
the pilot-aircraft interface.

As I understand it, Boeing seems to be more 'pilot-centred' in its
approach, while Airbus is more '(design) engineer-oriented'. Thus
Boeing generally grants the pilot ultimate authority, while Airbus
often allows the computer to over-ride the pilot. Also, Boeing
provides less ambiguous instrument feedback than Airbus, eg the
auto-throttle levers moves in a Boeing aircraft, not in an Airbus.

Is this correct? I'm neither a pilot nor an engineer (it probably
shows), but am interested in the evolution of design paradigms. I'd be
very grateful for any feedback.

Cheers,

Alain Deckers

Policy Research in Engineering, Science and Technology
University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, United Kingdom