Re: AA Landing Lights

From:         dtmedin@cca.rockwell.com (David T. Medin)
Date:         03 Nov 95 02:51:33

In article <airliners.1995.1642@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kcjarvis@tribeca.ios.com,[Kenny.Jarvis] writes:
> Is it policy for American Airline heavy jets to land without landing lights
> when there are low ceilings.  While watching planes at JFK today, I noticed
> all American Airlines 767 and A300 landed with no landing lights.  The ceiling
> was 500 overcast.  All other 767 and A300 landed with landing lights on.
> Anyone have an idea??

I've got some ideas, but none relate to any AA operational policies,
which I'm not aware of.

When flying through low scud, the landing light reflecting off the
clouds can be extremely disorienting to the pilot. The reflections can
also make the runway environment harder to find. If the aircraft is
flying a coupled approach, the pilot may opt to not hand fly it at
all, and using visual cues from the runway lights and the radio
altimeter may simply supervise the autopilot all the way to flare and
rollout.

       David Medin            Phone: (319) 395-1862
   Rockwell Collins ATD	      Internet:
     Cedar Rapids, IA	   	dtmedin@cca.rockwell.com