Re: Oddball 727 variants?

From:         tim@me.rochester.edu (Tim Takahashi)
Date:         03 Nov 95 02:51:32

Robert M. Sherry <sherryr@a.cs.okstate.edu> wrote:
>I have a picture of a United 727-222 in an airline markings book that very
>clearly shows a third cabin door on the right side of the aircraft, in about
>the same location as the galley door on the -100. It appears to be of a type
>similar to the 'hatrack' doors on the 707 and DC-8. This is the only 727 I've
>ever seen with one of these doors. Why would a 727 have one of these? Perhaps
>as part of a provision for very high density seating layouts?

There is a photo of a similar 727 in "Jetliners, USA" - described as
"this aircraft had bassed through Braniff, Alaska and McClain Airlines'
hands." The right hand side is shown, with the two overwing exits
in the normal place, and a right hand side passenger door located
four window units in front of the forward overwing exit. There
are 14 windows in front of this door, but no forward door.

This is in contrast to a photo of an Eastern 727-200 where the
right hand side layout goes : 2 windows, rear door, 16 windows,
rear overwing exit, 2 windows, front overwing exit, 22 windows,
front door.

-tim