Re: A positive aspect of the DC-10?

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         13 Feb 95 01:44:21

In article <airliners.1995.135@ohare.Chicago.COM> rna@gsb-pound.stanford.edu writes:
>I had heard about a similar incident at Minneapolis, between two DC-10s.
>
>Apparently the pilot who was taking off had received special training
>about just this feature of the 10, and rotated early, again clearing
>the aircraft in his way.
>
>Followups to sci.aeronautics.airliners.  I'd like to hear more about this
>aspect of the DC-10.  It's not generally thought to be a very safe
>airplane, so hearing more about it would be interesting.

A FedEx mechanic told me that since DC-10 the ORD disaster in 1979, reference
speeds for takeoff were pushed forward a few knots, resulting in
greater airspeed protection should there be another asymmetric slat retrac-
tion following engine failure near V2.  This results in a shallower takeoff
angle, and, presumably, a longer roll-out (note that contrary to what many
pilots think, there were no structural enhancements or changes to how the
airplane or its systems work as a result of that crash).

If the crew chooses not to exercise this protection (from news footage of
KC-10s taking off for the Gulf a couple months ago, I assume the military
doesn't), it gives the airplane a little bit of kinetic energy which can
be traded for altitude or maneuvering capability.

Very little about this bird gives me any peace of mind.