Re: 747-400 without a winglet !

From:         "Bryan H. Lang" <concorde@ecst.csuchico.edu>
Date:         31 Oct 95 00:31:38

On 13 Oct 1995, Nicolas E. Murat wrote:
> Now, UAL A/C with only one winglet does sound unlikely. If they did lose
> it somewhere, the balance would have only been affected temporarily,
> until adjustments were made. Earlier 747s lost whole engines and
> mananged. So a winglet can't be that bad. Several manufacturers have had
> problems with losing components such as Landing Gear Doors, Service
> Panels and Exterior Escape Slides in flight...

I actually saw a UA 744 without a winglet at ORD one day. I inquired of
the 1K desk what the story was, and he didn't believe me, so he asked a
gate agent to look and find out. Sure enough, the call came back that the
744 had lost a winglet in LA (cause unspecified), had flown to ORD and was
scheduled to be repaired.

-BHL