Re: Question: Cabin environment on long haul flights

From:         mikeb@ssd.fsi.com (Mike Bates)
Date:         13 Oct 95 12:38:20

leishman@hellcat.eng.umd.edu. (leishman) writes:

   After a recent transatlatic flight on American airlines, my brother
   related a rather alarming experience. The cabin temperature on the
   MD-11 was maintained way too high (estimated in excess of 85F), and
   despite many complaints from passengers, the crew did absolutely
   nothing until 1-hour out from London, where they finally turned on the
   air cooling. In addition, many passengers experinenced dizziness, light
   headiness and naucea. I've been hearing that on eastbound transatlantic
   overnight flights some airlines deliberately elevate cabin temparatures
   to make passengers sleep (parhaps this reduces cabin staff workload?),
   and also reduce oxygen flow in the cabin to save money. Is this really
   a common practice among airlines? Any comments sure would be
   appreciated.

We flew AA86 from Chicago to Heathrow on an MD-11 back on 8 September.
We also noticed that the plane was kept warmer than usual.  My wife
noticed a passenger complaining to a flight attendant that the cabin
temp should be 22C, and he emphasized the point by saying "two-two"
and drawing the numbers in the air with his finger.  In the past I've
usually had trouble staying warm on transatlantic flights.  This time
I was too hot to sleep.  I didn't notice the problem on the flight
back.  (The inflight movie on the westbound trip was "Outbreak".  Do
you really want your passengers thinking about the possibility of
catching a deadly incurable airborne virus when they're breathing
recirculated air?)

--
Mike Bates               FlightSafety International, Simulation Systems Div.
Principal Engineer       2700 North Hemlock Circle