Re: Recoverable flight attitudes?

From:         Vicky Crone <vcrone@u.washington.edu>
Date:         09 Feb 95 18:50:03

> I am not a full-size pilot, but have some experience with model
> aircraft, which in general have much more relative power and control

Being a model aircraft pilot you should be familiar with the terms barrel
roll and split S.  Although I'm not a first hand witness, rumor has it
that a Boeing flight test pilot barrel rolled a 707 in the 60's.  Another
rumor has it that a military C-141 (slightly larger than a 707) once did
a split-s after the flight crew became severly disoriented in IMC conditions.
Personlly I have performed an aileron roll in the C-141 simulator.  Your
question is basically one of aerodynmics, IMHO any aircraft with
standard configuration and flight controls should be recoverable ASSUMING
the aircraft structure can withstand the aerodynamic loads involved and
sufficient altitude for recovery exists.

> I have similar questions about the Lauda 767 on which the thrust reverser
> deployed climbing at 24,000 feet.

My understanding on this one was that the aircraft disintegrated in
flight when the TR deployed.