Re: Ansett "fixes" its 767s

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         13 Oct 95 02:06:36

>I believe that this is wrong. I seem to recall that United had the #1 727,
>which was in fact the first 727-100 to fly as part of the flight test
>program.

Correct.

>I also seem to recall that it was only a few years ago that this machine
>was retired, and I believe handed over to Boeing for display.

Also correct.  N7001U operated its penultimate flight (UA 1283 SLC-SFO)
on December 28, 1990.  It was then repainted into its original 1964
colors and flew one last revenue flight (UA 838 SFO-SEA) on January
13, 1991.  It was then ferried to Boeing Field and donated to the
Museum of Flight, sans engines, which were returned to United.  I've
seen the aircraft at Paine Field since then, which is where the museum
has a restoration center if I'm not mistaken, so perhaps they got some
other engines for it, or borrowed some when they needed to ferry it
from Boeing Field to Paine Field.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com