Re: Ansett "fixes" its 767s

From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date:         13 Oct 95 02:06:36

acvitale@magg.net (acvitale) wrote:

>Eastern was the adopting carrier for the 727
>Lufthansa was the adopting carrier for the 737
>
>United did not start either of these two aircraft.

I believe that this is wrong. I seem to recall that United had the #1 727,
which was in fact the first 727-100 to fly as part of the flight test
program.  (I have a vague memory of seeing a picture of the plane, in
United livery, making a high-speed taxi run through water to prove that
the rear-mounted engines wouldn't flame out due to water ingestion.) I
also seem to recall that it was only a few years ago that this machine
was retired, and I believe handed over to Boeing for display. Could be
wrong, though- I'm going from memory.