Re: Ansett "fixes" its 767s

From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)
Date:         13 Oct 95 02:06:35

Justin Talbot-Stern <jtalbot@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> wrote:

>>Saw a small article in one of the most recent issues of Flight
>>International that said that Ansett is to convert its odd-ball
>>3-pilot 767s into 2-pilot 767s.

>I had the opportunity to work in Ansett's Engineering department during my
>summer holidays and spent a lot of time in their 767-200 cockpits performing
>CRT diagnostic tests and FMS data uploads.

>As for Ansett being the only airline in the world to operate three crew 767, I
>think this is wrong.  Last January, Ansett took delivery of an additional
>used 767-200 from Britannia Airways and I think it was a three crew aircraft
>as well.  However, the 767's they're thinking of acquiring over the next few
>years have the standard two-pilot cockpits.

	No. It definitely wasn't. Avweek mentioned at the time that
they had to get special permission (for which they paid some
compensation to the individuals involved) from the unions to
break the labour agreement that they had made years earlier to
only operate three crew 767s. I have read in several places that
Ansett is the only operator of three crew 767s. (However, I cannot
cite a reliable source offhand, so it is concevable that I am wrong.
However, I don't think so)

	Michael.

--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

Disclaimer: the opinions presented here are mine alone,
but they should be yours too because they're right.