Re: fire suppression in-flight

From:         hazcam@ix.netcom.com (Juan Rivera)
Date:         09 Feb 95 18:50:03

In <airliners.1995.134@ohare.Chicago.COM> schuler@shell.portal.com
(Carlos Alejandro Schuler) writes:

>I am not sure whether this question has been asked here before, but
>here I dare: with Halon being discontinued from production given
>its ozone-unfriendliness, what alternate fire suppression systems
>are being considered to replace existing technology?
>
>Sorry for the waste of bandwidth if the question has been discussed
>here before.
>
>Carlos.
>--
>Carlos A. Schuler                       Aerometrics, Incorporated
>Scientist                               550 Del Rey Ave. Sunnyvale, CA
94086
>schuler@shell.portal.com                Voice:(408)738 6688
Fax:(408)738 6871

As far as I know there is no replacement for Halon that works nearly
as well, but Halon can be recovered and reused so existing fire
extinguishers can be serviced and hydro tested and then refilled with
the recovered Halon.  So the existing supply should sast for years.

Juan Rivera
NASA / Kuiper Airborne Observatory