Water injection ?

From:         gernot@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Gernot Auer (Prak 1 Gerhard))
Date:         13 Oct 95 01:30:31
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hi!

A friend of mine and myself were wondering about a label connected
with a picture in the Airlines Magazine, displaying a 707 of broken
up People Express Airline, describing the takeoff supported by
'water injection'. Since I am no aircraft technician I can only guess
it means to inject water into turbofans to increase power, which
sounds pretty weird.

Is there anyone who can support clues how 'water injection' in any way could
effectively increase engine power?

We were discussing about how water as material itself could increase
the quantity of boost generated by the engines in first place, and thus
increasing the overall power. Any possibility this theory could make
it ?

Thanks for listening!

Gernot

gernot@idefix.vmars.tuwien.ac.at