Re: Taking off into Wind Shear

From:         orourke@starlink.com (Ken O'Rourke)
Date:         13 Oct 95 01:30:27

Morris B. <mbas@lynx.unm.edu> wrote:
>Last friday evening at about 640 pm on approach to DIA i was listening to UA's
>Channel 9.  I heard a 727 pilot report a loss of 25 kts on climbout off of
>runway 8.

>The controler verified the low level wind shear and added that a microburst was
>building up.  The crew of the plane to take off on runway 8 seemed to have
>every intention of flying through the windshear and possible microburst.

>The person sitting next to me and i were commenting on the stupidity of this
>person.  What do you all think?

I agree with your assessment.  The very best way to survive a
windshear is to avoid it in the first place.  System requirements for
decreasing windshear escape guidance do not presume they are always
survivable.   At a minimum it says something like you should be flying
at stick shaker at ground impact.

I would prefer encountering a windshear on takeoff over approach any
day.  Flying speed on pitch with the engines at takeoff thrust is
preferable to getting nailed by a tailwind or downdraft on approach
when the throttles are back and you are already following a decent
path.