Re: exit door latch

From:         bradg@io.org (Brad Gillies)
Date:         13 Oct 95 01:30:26

   dpbsmith@world.std.com (Daniel P. B. Smith) wrote:
>Not at all harmless, because it is colorless, odorless, and DISPLACES
>OXYGEN.  And while you can tell the presence of CO2 because it makes
>you feel like you are suffocating, you CANNOT DETECT the absence of
>oxygen--you just feel drunk and pass out.  I think oil tankers use
>nitrogen to fill the dead space in the tanks (to prevent combustion) and
>that workers die from time to time by accidentally unknowingly entering
>nitrogen-filled spaces.  It is similar to the danger of Halon fire
>extinguishers.  I don't know if the quantity of nitrogen needed to fill
>a slide could displace enough cabin air for long enough to be dangerous,
>but on the face of it, there could potentially be a problem.

for one thing there is not enpugh nitrogen in the bottles to displace
the entire volume in the cabin. besides nitrogen mixes freely with oxygen
hence AIR.

the second the cabin of an airliner, contrary to popular belief, is NOT
airtight and must have a constant input of af air from atmosphere.
this eliminates the problem altogether.

The main reason for using nitrogen is that it is a harmless
inert gas.

>I wonder if discharging lots of nitrogen into a cabin would trigger the
>release of the oxygen masks?

no it wouldn't the masks are deployed by a pressure switch only.
if the cabin altitude climbs above a certain point (14000 feet)
the masks deploy.