Re: A320 comments

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         13 Oct 95 01:30:24

>Does anyone recall the details of a United DC-8 that was dumping fuel
>for an emergency landing in the northwest many years ago? I seem to
>recall they dumped too much fuel, and the engines flamed out on final,
>causing them to crash into homes along the flight path.

That sounds like a United DC-8-61 (N8082U) which crashed in Portland,
Oregon, on December 28, 1978.  However, it was neither dumping fuel
nor making an emergency landing nor on final.  There was a problem
with a landing gear indicator and they circled for several hours,
trying to solve the problem, until they simply ran out of fuel.  The
flight engineer apparently saw it coming but the captain was fairly
difficult to get along with and there were communications problems
amongst the crew.  This led to United's Cockpit Resource Management
program.

Further details are in the archives of the newsgroup.

(Archives of sci.aeronautics.airliners are available for anonymous ftp
on ftp.chicago.com (in /chicago/airliners) and on ftp.kei.com.  WWW
access is available at http://www.chicago.com/airliners/archives.html
including both the raw archives and a searchable index.)

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com