Re: A320 comments

From:         sthomson@mo.net (Steven G. Thomson)
Date:         13 Oct 95 01:30:24

>For an emergency landing, is it ever desireable to dump excess fuel to reduce
>the possibility or extent of a fire?  Would it make a difference or is fuel
>dumping only for reducing the landing weight?

The only reason to dump fuel, is to acheive a weight at or below the
max landing weight.

Does anyone recall the details of a United DC-8 that was dumping fuel
for an emergency landing in the northwest many years ago? I seem to
recall they dumped too much fuel, and the engines flamed out on final,
causing them to crash into homes along the flight path.

Steven