Re: 747-400 without a winglet !

From:         snowd@coral.indstate.edu
Date:         13 Oct 95 01:30:23

In article <airliners.1995.1585@ohare.Chicago.COM> tristar500@aol.com (TriStar500) writes:
>It may have been removed because it was damaged, maybe a bird strike.
>I've never looked at the MMELs that are available at various sites to see
>if they include the Configuration Deviation List. This is a list of parts
>that can be removed from the airplane and not prohibit further flight.
>Anyone know if the CDL is included in the MMEL?

The CDL is normally considered an appendix to the FAA Approved Airplane
Flight Manual.

I remember reading in a copy of Boeing Airliner magazine a few years back
that the B747-400 can fly with one winglet removed, say for damage.  The
fuel burn increment is about 3%, again, from what I remember reading a few
years back.

Doug