Re: 747-400 without a winglet !

From:         sthomson@Walden.MO.NET (Steven G. Thomson)
Date:         13 Oct 95 01:30:23

: Karl would prob. know - what would be the affect on the aircraft of
: missing one winglet? I believe I read somewhere that the winglets on
: the 744 gave a 3% savings on fuel burn. but would it upset the aircraft
: balance or something only having one? and how could it come off? is
: it lying in the pacific somewhere, or dropped off over someone's farm?

A missing winglet probably wouldn't have as much effect as carrying a
spare engine on the port wing.

I read that JAL's 747-400's used on short domestic sectors, have the
winglets removed to save weight. When the cycles get to a certain point,
the aircraft is transferred to long haul routes, and the winglets are
re-installed to save fuel.

Steven