Re: 747-400 without a winglet !

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         05 Oct 95 13:25:58

>You would be amazed at the parts (fairings, access doors, flap sections)
>that can be removed from an airplane and have it still be legal to fly.

Yep.  Earlier this year I was on a United 737-300 from SFO to SAN and
poked my head up front while we were boarding.  I was quite surprised
to see a placard noting asymmetric thrust -- 22,000 lbs on #1 and only
20,000 lbs on #2.  United has a mix of engines (CFM56-3B1 and -3B2) on
their 737-300 fleet, but I never expected they would mix them on the
same aircraft!  It worked fine, though, and the pilots didn't think it
was a big deal.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com