Re: Airframe Fatigue Monitoring Systems

From:         trw-okc@qns.com (TRW)
Date:         08 Feb 95 01:21:20

Fatigue monitoring in the Air Force is done a per Programmed Depot
Maintenance (PDM).  For EC/KC/C-135 airframes, PDM must be performed every 48
months +/- 4 (I think) months.  The aircraft is flown to the depot, and skin
panels removed, interior work, floors, etc.  Visual (staining), X-Ray, and
other inspection techniques are performed on areas of know corrosion and
fatigue cracking.  Scopes are used to get to hard-to-reach areas.  It takes
about 4 months in depot to get the bird flying again (they can also do other
mods in the process, as well).  Other airframes have different intervals.
The E-4B (a 747-200) PDM is 8 years (to the best of knowledge).

That's all I know on the subject.  I'm sure the airlines have a similiar
program.

Cheers,

Bill Hensley
bhensley@oceo.trw.com