747-400 without a winglet !

From:         richard@rmit.edu.au (Richard A. Muirden)
Date:         04 Oct 95 22:57:24
Followups:    1 2 3 4

There is the most interesting picture in Australian Aviation this month
of a UA 744 without a winglet on it's port side !

Karl would prob. know - what would be the affect on the aircraft of
missing one winglet? I believe I read somewhere that the winglets on
the 744 gave a 3% savings on fuel burn. but would it upset the aircraft
balance or something only having one? and how could it come off? is
it lying in the pacific somewhere, or dropped off over someone's farm?

Just wondering.

-richard

--
Richard A. Muirden, Sys. Admin |Fan of Shostakovich, "Star Trek" and BOEING!
Mailto: richard@rmit.EDU.AU    |Fly the Friendly Skies of United Airlines !